Sunday, June 24, 2007

Is That Me?

I volunteered at the zoo today. While doing my rounds on the Tropics Trail, Steve, the lead bird keeper stopped me. "Are you the author?" he asked. I was taken aback by the question. I've never spoken to Steve except in passing and I don't think I look that much like our picture in the book. But it seems he's been getting some ribbing about being the cranky bird keeper in "Death Roll." He wanted to know if I had based the character on him.

I imagine we'll get a lot of this; people seeing themselves in our characters, thinking they know who we're writing about. And they'll probably be right -- to a point. I think every character an author comes up with contains bits and pieces of the people in their lives. Then we take those bits and pieces, make them larger than life, and enhance the characteristics we need to make the story work. If we did our work correctly, the characater will come off as human, with strengths and frailties we can all recognize and empathize with. That's what makes a good character.

Is cranky Mitch Flanagan really Steve the bird keeper? Read the book, Steve and find out.
-- Marilyn